Prior to 2017, the Missouri effort operated on a loose knit coalition. That effort, led by Rich AuBuchon, resulted in the passage of multiple pieces of legislation in Missouri. Without the leadership of Rich AuBuchon and the Coalition, these bills included below would not have been passed into law:
• Employment Law Reform - Leveled the playing field for employers to mirror the federal law.
• Expert Witness Reform - Codified the federal court rules on expert witness testimony for civil and criminal cases.
• Collateral Source Law Reforms - Requires defendants to pay actual medical expenses incurred instead of what was billed and paid by insurance.
• Reservation of Rights Litigation Reform - Reducing bad faith litigation by plaintiff lawyers.
• Private Attorney General Reform - Instituted caps on attorney fees that can be collected.
• Interpleader Reform - Allows policy limits to be deposited with the Court to disburse to the correct party.
• Business Premises Liability Limits - Protects business owners from lawsuit for criminal acts that took place on their property.
• Time Limited Demands - Ends the game of lawyers sending unreasonable demands that expire on a day's notice that could trigger bad faith litigation.
• Workers' Compensation Retaliation Claim Reform - Instituted the same standard for retaliation claims as other employment law claims.
The need for an independent and long-standing civil justice reform corporation became ever more apparent in 2017 when the Missouri legislature began recognizing the tort reform coalition as its own entity and seeking its input on legislative priorities.
Becoming a Board Member is best way to direct the future actions of the MCJRC. Suggested contributions of $10,000 to the MCJRC, Inc., to secure a Board seat. Donations to the Political Action Committee (“PAC”) are also requested. Other levels of membership are available for those who do not want to invest in directing the future of the organization in the future.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Executive Director – Richard AuBuchon
AuBuchon Law Firm, LLC
121 Madison Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Office Phone: 573-616-1845